2013 has been quite a year, a banner year for Angeles de Medellin. In the first 6 months we received over 400 volunteers from 5 different continents! and that number continues to grow...
We also kicked off in style with a new centre, 3 times larger than the one before. On December 1st 2012, the Angeles volunteers cleaned and painted our new facility and a million thanks goes to those volunteers who did an incredible task of organising everything in less than 3 weeks and at the same time organising the huge Christmas party. Super job amigos!
English classes started in February with more than 60 students learning English for free, but also branching out thanks to our global volunteers, to learning French, Japanese and even Hindi.
|Volunteers and Angelitos together!|
Here's a few amazing activities and donations that made 2013 a banner year so far...
This all happens, because of the wonderful volunteers who devote their time, money and love to the little Angelitos (Angels) in the mountains.
- 6 clothing give-away days with over 1900 people receiving free clothing
- 5 parties with over 3000 children attending
- Computer and English classes for all in the area served by the program
- Range of sports including Friday Frisbee activity, Hula Hoop, Football, American Football and Baseball games
- The month of May saw the generosity of Jono from Scotland and the Shamrock Irish Pub of Poblado, Medellin purchase with the help of 6 Scots and Canadians a large, and I mean a large TV screen (see pic below!), for movies and activities to be used by the program in the mountains. Thanks Amigos, big time!
- In June 400 children and adults received much needed new shoes and sneakers because of a wonderful donations from 3 Colombian shoe vendors
- In our larger facility, music, balloons, dancing, singing, games and sports are a daily routine for the families in the Angeles program
- The program was also able to purchase food for over 40 families
- Paid off a mortgage on one home a family would have been evicted from losing all they had
- And finally ... provided medical assistance for over 25 families in varying needs of help
I cannot express my undying appreciation to everyone past and present, who has made the Angeles de Medellin program unique, special and filled with love each and every day.
Director and Founder of Angeles de Medellin
A new TV for use at the program
Work in progress for the new office
Volunteers help to get it ready
|Organising the new facility with a lick of paint|
|Child drawing at the program|